There is no denying the fact that our dependence on the internet and its tools like search engines, social media platforms, streaming services has increased exponentially in the last few years.
The World Wide Web is an indispensable aid for our modern lives but is it a safe place to be?
Movies like Social Dilemma have proved that our data and privacy are more vulnerable than ever.
What is VPN and why is it important to have one?
Hacking, online harassment, money laundering frauds, spying etc have made us susceptible to the dark side of the web. That’s where VPN comes in protecting our privacy, confidential data and helping us in keeping our pc secure from all the threats.
VPN has become essential to make our internet experience safe, protecting us from all online mishaps. A Virtual Private Network (VPN) can be considered as a shield which keeps you anonymous in a public pool of internet users, hides your IP address and makes sure your essential data isn’t used without your permission.
What are the Best VPN for our PC Windows in 2021?
To help you keep your Browsing experience safe we have come with a list Top 5 Best Free VPN for PC.
NordVPN is the clear cut winner in our research on Best free VPN for PC. Nord has been the leader in the market for the past many years and will retain the tag in future too.
Its imminent features include
- Amazing Connection Speed
- No compromise on the security end
- Strict No logs policy
- Can be used on any number of devices
- NordVPN provides double protection by allowing you to change your IP twice, adding a layer of security. You will get a personal IP, used only by you!
- Blocks all the annoying ads and protects you from malware
- Makes sharing large files hassle-free
- Make’s your IP untraceable and hence your browsing data doesn’t leak
We believe NordVPN is your one-stop solution to provide you with the safest possible browsing experience. It takes care of all online threats and makes the internet a better place. Let NordVPN do his job so that you can continue yours without worrying about any data breach!
TunnelBear bear is a very easy to use application and is among the best free VPN for windows. In just one click you can protect your virtual environment. You can connect this VPN with 5 devices simultaneously and enjoy great speed while browsing.
Some of the main features are
- Intuitive and really beautiful User Interface
- Browser extensions are supported by Major Platform
- No data logging and hence safe to use
- Useful Privacy tools
- Adblocker available as free extension for browsers
- Has servers over 20 countries
TunnelBear has some amazing features but keeps in mind the free version allows only 500 Mb data a month, but the paid version is very affordable. If you are looking for a VPN which has one of the best privacy policies among VPN and good customer support but ready to compromise with data usage limits, TunnelBear can be your go-to option.
ExpressVPN is among the Best free VPN for pc which keeps your geolocations information safe, multilingual and is easy to use.
Some of its amazing features include
- Available in 16 languages!
- Works with all popular platforms like Netlfix, Disney+, HBO, Amazon Prime etc.
- No data logging
- Keeps your data safe even when the connection drops
- It’s a very reliable VPN and doesn’t compromise on speed
This VPN will optimize your VPN to provide the fastest possible speed and you can use it in all famous streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime etc.
4. Hotspot Shield
Hotspot Shield is one of the most trusted VPN and is rightly so. The best part? It provides you with unlimited bandwidth making it one of the best free VPN for pc. Other features include
- No need of an account to use
- Provides ad blocking, cookie blocking, malware protection
- Picks the best server for you to provide you with a seamless browsing experience
- Can be used across all popular platforms
- Bypass firewall to avoid being tracked and hence browse while hiding your important data
- Easy to use interface
Go for Hotspot shield for a smooth browsing experience while travelling anywhere! It’s undoubtedly one of the best free VPN for windows.
Developed by scientists of CERN and MIT, this swiss based VPN is very security focussed. This VPN also provides you with unlimited data bandwidth, the only drawback being that the servers are only available in 3 countries for the free version.
Following are the add on features of ProtonVPN
- Medium speed for the free version
- No data logging
- Secure streaming without worrying about the data breach
- Optimized for P2P file sharing
- Keeps your data safe even when you get disconnected from VPN
ProtonVPN has its own dedicated network making it extremely secure to use and also has strong encryption protocols, keeping your sensitive data away from predators.
We rated these VPNs on their security policies, speed, the technology used for protection, data limit, ease of usability and NordVPN tops the list followed by Hotspot Shield. NordVPN offers military-grade encryption, great speed and can be used on multiple devices at a time and hence taking away the crown on our list.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are free VPNs safe to use?
Free VPNs have to earn money someway for example by advertising and some even sell your data. Credible and reputable Free VPNs (All the VPNs mentioned in our list come under this category) won’t mishandle your data. Do your research and see if the VPN is scamming you and also make sure to see that the VPN has a name in the market.
Which free VPN is Best for PC windows?
In our opinion, NordVPN is the best free VPN for PC being a complete package for all the amazing features you will need in a VPN. NordVPN has been the market leader for years now and is the safest VPN choice to go for.
How to use VPN on a PC for free internet?
Following are the steps you can do to use VPN on a pc for free internet
- Right-click the network icon(bottom right side) and select “Open Network and Sharing Center”.
- Select “Set up a new connection or network”
- Select “Connect to a workplace” followed with “Use my Internet connection (VPN)”
- Open the VPN Servers List page, choose a VPN Server which you want to use.
- Copy DDNS Hostname (ending with “.opengw.net” ) or IP Address and paste it on the “Internet address”
- After pasting, Check “Don’t connect now; just set up so I can connect later”
- Username and password field will appear, type “vpn” in both. Click close and don’t click connect now for now.
- Now go to “Network and Sharing Center” and select “Change adapter settings”.
- Right-click on the icon you created and go to properties.
- Switch to the “Security” tab and select “Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol with IPsec (L2TP/IPSec)” on the “Type of VPN” drop-down list.
- In advanced properties select “Use preshared key for authentication” and input “vpn” on the Key field.
- After configuration click okay button twice and then double click the VPN connection setting.
- If not present, input “vpn” again on username and password.
- Click connect and see if the status of the connection is connected.
- After connection, the icon will appear under the network icon and now you can access Free Internet just by clicking on it!